of Economic and Social Councils
and Similar Institutions
Date of creation
11 February 2011
Nature of the texts that create the ESC (Constitution, law, decree, etc.)
Law n°60-09 of 19 October 2009 / Decree n°2-10-153 of 16 June 2010 / Dahir n°1-10-28 /– envisaged by the Constitution of September 1996 (articles 93, 94, 95)
Consultation and advisory
• Advisory body for both the executive and legislative branches, in order to enhance the performance of the Government and the status and credibility of the Parliament.
• Watchdog and powerhouse of proposals for public policy guidelines in economic, social, cultural and sustainable development sectors.
• Constitutional forum for deep reflection and constructive dialogue between its members in order to bring major social contracts to fruition.
• Give opinions on general orientations of the national economy and training.
• Make studies and researches and analyse the economic situation and ensure the follow-up of the economic and social policies at the national, regional and international fields.
• Give priority to drawing up the new social charter and give its opinion on the coordination and interplay between development plans and sector-based policies.
Bipartite plus (W, E and others)
Number of members : 99 members
- 24 Experts in the social, economic, cultural and financial fields, employment, training, environment, sustainable development, digital economy – appointed by the King
- 24 members from Trade Unions – 12 appointed by the Head of Government, 12 by the House of Representatives, 12 by the House of Counsellors on trade unions proposal
- 24 members from employers organisations (trade, services, agriculture, industry, fishing, energy, mining, craftsmanship) – 12 appointed by the Head of Government, 12 by the House of Representatives, 12 by the House of Counsellors on organisations proposal
- 16 members from social associations and organisations (environment protection, fight against poverty, etc) – 8 appointed by the Head of Government, 2 by the House of Representatives, 2 by the House of Counsellors
- 11 from Institutions and bodies like the President of the Superior Council for Education, the President of the advisory Council of human rights, the President of the Council for Moroccan community abroad, the Director of the national social security etc.
Duration of the term: 5 years renewable once
The President is appointed by Dahir.
The Bureau is composed by the President + 5 members appointed by the General Assembly and representing the 5 groups
General Assembly and Plenary
The Institution gives its opinions to the Head of Government if the Government convened the ESEC, or to the authority which convened it (President of the House of Representatives or President of the House of Counsellors).
Souce of funding
The budget is included in general budget of the State.