of Economic and Social Councils
and Similar Institutions
Date of creation
January 15 1998
Nature of the texts that create the ESC (Constitution, law, decree, etc.)
Law on Establishment and Operation of ESDC (Legislation No. 5990)
Consultation and agreement on labor and its related industrial, economic and social policies and policy advice for the President of the Republic of Korea.
Tripartite plus G, W, E and others
Number of members of the Plenary Committee : 10 members
- Workers: 2 (Presidents)
- Employers: 2 (Presidents)
- Public interest group: 2
- Government: 2 (Minister for Strategy and Finance, Minister for Employment and Labour)
- Minister for Trade, Industry and Energy participates in the Plenary Committee as a special member
ESDC: 2(Chairman and Vice-Chairman)
There are 40 full time employees in the Secretariat of the ESDC.
Duration of the term of the Plenary Committee : 2 years renewable
Process of designating the members (nomination) :
- Members of the Plenary Committee are appointed by the President of the Republic of Korea
- Members of Standing Committee and Committees by agenda and Committees by industry are appointed by the Chairman of ESDC
Chairman and Vice-Chairman are appointed by the President of the Republic and their terms are 2 years renewable.
General Assembly and Plenary
Souce of funding
The budget is drawn up by the Ministry of Employment and Labour.